Userpic

Daniel_Duarte
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 5 years ago

Hey everyone,

I live in Lisbon and I\'m planning to go on Interrail next summer. To get out of Iberia and to Central Europe, I\'ll have to catch a train to Madrid and from there to France and so on. I was planning to take the night train that departs from Lisbon at 9pm and arrives in Madrid at 8am the next day. I haven\'t bought my Interrail pass yet, and I\'m unsure whether I\'ll buy the 22 days continuous pass or the 15 days in a month pass.

My question is: since this train falls under the 7 pm rule, can I put down the starting date of my pass as the day I arrive in Madrid, or do I have to put the start date as the day I leave Lisbon? Does this rule apply to the continuous passes or is it exclusive to flexi passes?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Follow this topic
Userpic

Tobi
Traveller
175 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hello Daniel and welcome to rail.cc

The 7pm rule is just for the not continuous pass since every day in a flexi-pass is also a travel day. The 7 pm rule is about saving travel days, but with the flexi pass you don´t have to do that.
And unfortunately You will have to enter the start date as the date when you depart from Lisbon.
Me personally, I would recomment you the 15 day Pass. You can do a longer trip and it is a bit cheaper. But it depends on the route you want to do. If you like to use a very intensive route, and using the train nearly evry day, then you should take the 22 days pass. In conclusion: If you want to use the train on more than 15 days, take the 22!

We would be very happy if You buy Your Interrail-Pass here: [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail/[/ux]

It´s the same cost for You but you support all the free content on rail.cc.

If You like to read some travel-stories and see some photos (I travelled these routes this year):

[ux]https://rail.cc/blog/madrid-atocha-chamartin/[/ux]

[ux]https://rail.cc/blog/barcelona-madrid-ave/[/ux]

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi Daniel, welcome to railcc!

As Tobi already mentioned, your pass has to be valid on the day when you enter the train in Lisbon (eg March 24). You could then make use of the 1900 rule and enter the day of arrival in Madrid (March 25) as first travel day. But the pass has to be valid already the day you start in Lisbon.

Anyway, I would recommend to wait with the decision which pass to buy until 2019 when some things might change. :)

Flo

Userpic

Daniel_Duarte
Traveller
1 comments

replied 5 years ago

Thank you Tobi and Flo, your answers really cleared things up! I think I\'m going to take the 22 days continuous pass so the 7pm rule doesn\'t apply.

Userpic

Seewulf
Traveller
4 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi

Unfortunately as of 2019 there is no 7pm rule anymore.
From then you always have to fill in the Date of Depature.
For example

Train starts 14:00 and arrives 9:00 on the next days
On the old rule valid until th End of 2018 you need 2Traveldays
On the new rule as of 2019 you only need one day (Day of Depature)

another Example
Train Starts Day1 19:40 arrives 8:00(Day2) in the first City and second train Starts 12:00 (Day2) and arrive 18:00 in the second City

Old Rule you need only Day 2 as a Travelday

New Rule you need DAY 1 and Day 2 as Traveldays

Other Changes as of 2019

The Flexipasses are longer valid
The 5, 7 days passes are now valid for one month and the 10,15 day passes are now valid for 2 month

Kind Regards