Userpic

Joos
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 15 years ago

I read a lot on the forum but some things are still not clear to me. I hope somebody could advise me.

**Me and my friend (both from the Netherlands) are going to Switzerland for 10 days, we want to go there by train and travel a little bit through Switzerland, but not on too many days. We don't know what to book. If we book the Global Pass for 159 euro/128 pond, the way to Switzerland will cost us 2 days already, since it's our first travel day so we can NOT use the rule: you can use a direct night train (no changes) after 19:00h and fill in the date of the following travel day (right???)

**But if we do a One Country Pass, we will have to pay a lot for the train from the Netherlands to Switzerland. Or not?

**Another thing is that we will have to reserve our tickets, since we're travelling in the period of the European Championship. How can we do this, and how can we buy a City night line ticket for 20,- instead of the normal price?

**Is it advisable to buy a Ticket Protection Plan for £ 7,-?

**I also read that you can get 50% discount on train tickets in your own country, but how can I purchase a ticket for 50% of the price?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi Joos... :)

here are the answers which I hope will help you !!

(1) you are right... when travelling by night train from Amsterdam to Zürich/Basel on the start of your ticket, you will loose two travel days (rule of the night trains and after 1900h and FIRST travel day - like you understand right).
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/amsterdam-to-zurich[/u]

(2) with a one-country-pass you pay the full price for Netherlands to Switzerland. that's right.

To find a cheap solution: the City-Night-Line trains are going from Amsterdam to Basel/Zürich in Switzerland. If you have luck, you can get on their website a special-ticket for 29 EUR... play a little bit with the dates you want to travel!! then you could buy a single-country-pass for Switzerland and you won't need a global pass.
City Night Line: [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/germany/de[/u]

And also reflect about the Football Half-Fare Card of the Swiss rail company. then you can travel for 50% of the normal train fares. for train fares also have a look on SBB website. calculate the single city to city connections ... maybe it is cheaper without an InterRail pass?!?

(3) for reduced tickets on the CityNightLine train, or the discounted tickets in your country of residence, you first need an InterRail ticket and then you go to a station where you get the tickets.

I hope this helps you !! :)
have a lot of fun on your tour,
Peter
:)

Userpic

gina
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hello!
My country of residence is Hungary and I want to travel to Germany. My question is wether there are any discounts for Austria as a transit country??? or do i need a global pass? the difference is only 50 euros... in hungary i get 50% discount right?

thanks for helP!

gina

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi Gina... :)

yes right... in Hungary you get 50% discount on a normal rail ticket.
and for Austria you won't get a discount as transit country... but have a look at the following link... if travelling from Vienna (close to the border) to Germany by night train, you can get tickets (without a reduction) for 29 EUR ... if you have luck ... :)
just click here for the CityNighLine connections: https://rail.cc/en/night-train/germany/de

have fun,
Peter
:)

p.s.: and if the difference to a global ticket is only 50 EUR, maybe it is better for you to buy a global one !! just calculate it... ;)