thepixie292
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 9 years ago

Hi :)
I am looking to catching either one of the following two options:
train from budapest - split 7/august during the day
train from budapest -split 7/august overnight to the 8/august 2015

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate some help :)
1- Is it possible to buy/reserve train tickets for night train?
2- How long before the 7/august would I need to purchase a ticket for either during the day or at night?
for e.g. Would I be able to purchase an overnight train ticket for these dates about a week before?
3- How much would a ticket be either during the day or at night? (Adult Fare - I can't find this anywhere)
4- When I go to type in my details in the MAV start it just comes up with no available trains/routes that I am after for those dates. Does this mean they aren't running or is it too early to book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks in advance

Follow this topic
Userpic

thepixie292
Traveller
1 comments

replied 9 years ago

In regards to question. 1 - I mean is it possible to buy/reserve tickets ONLINE? prior to these dates!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi.
Have a lock at this topic where everything is explained:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/budapest-split-train/f7385[/u]

Cheapest option is to buy it at the station in Budapest. The direct overnight train does not run daily and is often sold out several days in advance. You can try to contact MAV by email (if you have success getting your ticket by an email request, please let us know).

Pete :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi!

You cannot book online; however this is not a very big problem. Tickets are available in Budapest at the international ticket desks at Deli, Keleti and Nyugati stations (I recommend not to go to Keleti especially during peak times as the international ticket desks are always crowded).
You can there buy a ticket to Split - this ticket is not issued for a certain train, you will be able to use all trains on this route within the validity period (usually 2 weeks).
As Peter said, there is a direct night train thrice weekly in summer but this is likely to be full well in advance - anyway, try your luck and ask for a reservation as soon as you are in Budapest (or, if you will be in another city in Europe before that, there). If the train would be full, you can still travel Budapest - Zagreb during the day and then take a domestic night train Zagreb - Split (there are two night trains during summer). No seat reservations are required for both day and night trains, but I would recommend getting a couchette/sleeper reservation.
The regular fare Budapest - Split would be 95€, however MAV (Hungarian Railways) has a special 60% discount for return tickets which would mean that a return ticket actually would be cheaper: 78,60€.
However, you can get a Zagreb Special ticket online at [ux]https://rail.shop/mav[/ux] for Budapest - Zagreb for 29€. This can be bought online and has to be printed out from a ticket machine at a station in Hungary.
You could then buy a ticket Zagreb - Split at the station in Zagreb which will be around 25€ (plus optional reservation costs for the night train). The ticket office in Zagreb should be open 0500-2300.

Flo 8)