Userpic

sare93
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 9 years ago

Hello!

I interrailed September 2014 (15 days continuous pass) with a friend and we did Italy > Slovenia > Austria > Hungary > Slovakia > Czech Republic. We ended up spending a week in Italy because it was a country we both really wanted to travel. I enjoyed it so much I have decided to go again this May, but this time with my boyfriend. On my last trip we were mainly in cities so we did not need long, however this time I would like to do a more of a variety.

We were thinking either the 10 within 22 days pass or the 22 days continuous but we don't know if the route is a little too adventurous...

We will definitely fly to our first city to save money, time and travel days on our interrail pass. We are flexible which way to fly from but for the sake of it we will say Geneva or Bern in Switzerland as our starting point.

Although I did alot of Italy on my last interrail trip my boyfriend wants visit it and I am more than happy to do it again. Most of the Italian cities we visited last time only required one night so we will stick with that.

So here is what we were thinking...

1) Geneva or Bern > Lake Como (2 nights in LC)
2) Lake Como > Milan (1 night in M)
3) Milan > Venice (1 night in V)
4) Venice > Florence (1 night in F)
5) Florence > Rome (2 nights in R)
6) Rome > Pescara or Ancona (overnight ferry)

We really want to explore Croatia, places like Split, Dubrovnik and some of the Islands if possible.

After Croatia we would like to travel further south to Greece, stopping at Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Budva or Kotor in Montenegro, then somehow down to Athens in Greece and fly back to the UK.

First of all I was wondering, is this trip a little TOO hectic for 22 days? If that is not the case, can you recommend how we could get to Greece from Croatia with our stops at the other places on the way?

Sarah :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi Sarah!

Do you want to spend some time in Switzerland too? You could think about adding some of the scenic routes, for instance: [u]https://rail.cc/blog/zurich-milano-albula-bernina/[/u]

Maybe you could also think of adding one or two smaller cities in Italy, for instance Assisi, Perugia, Siena, Lucca, the Cinque Terre,...

Then, I would recommend going to Split first; then you have to travel quite a bit by bus: first to Mostar, then to Dubrovnik and finally to Montenegro.
If you want to go hiking, you could think about going to Zabljak, the centre of the Durmitor national park.
But Kotor/Budva are nice as well of course :D

Then, you could travel again by train: First to Belgrade which is worth visiting as well, then you can take the night train to Thessaloniki in Greece.
From there you have connections to Athens.

I think it should be possible within 22 days; maybe you could include one or two intermediate stops at fixed dates in order to avoid spending too much time in Italy and having to rush through the other countries in the end.

To support the free information and the forum on railcc, please be fair and buy your official Interrail pass via our railcc partner link: [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux]
Thank you! :)

Flo 8)