Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 9 years ago

My friend and I will be traveling in Northern Italy in March - April for about 8 days. We'll go from Milan to Cinque Terre (Rapallo). We'll most likely move every few days to explore Cinque Terre and a few places in Tuscany. We'll probably take short day trips from our base locations. At the end, we'll go up to Mantova to start a bike and boat trip, so we won't need trains after that.

Is there a pass for the short train rides that would save money, or are we better off just paying the fares for each day. The distances we'll be traveling won't be very long each day.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi!

The best thing for you to do will be to buy single tickets locally. If you want, you can pre-book a ticket for a long distance train from Milan to Rapallo/Cinque Terre (we did so last summer and got a 1st class ticket from Milano to La Spezia for 19€ which is about equal the standard regional train fare) from 9€.
Within the Cinque Terre area there are day passes available including trains between La Spezia and Monterosso as well as the entrance fee for the national park/hiking trails which are better value than buying both separately.

Tickets are available at ticket desks or ticket machines at the station and have to be stamped before entering the train - buying tickets is really easy. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. Good to know about the day passes with the park entrance fees.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

I just checked, the cards are even valid between La Spezia and Levanto; a one day pass including train travel is 12€, two days 23€; without trains they are 6€/9,70€. :)