Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

Posted 16 years ago

[b]From AMSTERDAM to BERLIN, MUNICH, VIENNA or PRAGUE by night train.[/b]
Information for Interrail, Eurail travellers and persons with normal train ticket travelling by night train from Amsterdam (Netherlands) to European countries.

There are several night train available leaving every evening from Amsterdam (Netherlands) to other countries. For example to Germany, Czech Republic, Denmark and Switzerland. It is an inexpensive way to travel.
If you book early, you will get very [b]cheap special prices[/b].
:arr: [b]Booking[/b] (including all special prices) is available here: [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux]

[b]More information and schedules for night trains from and to the Netherlands at railcc[/b]:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/netherlands/nl[/u]

[b]Update: Nov 2016[/b]

Follow this topic
Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

There's a train from Amsterdam to Berlin that arrives Berlin at 4am. What would you do after you arrive at that hour? :o

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

party?

no, youd probably be best putting your bags in lockers at the station and trying to find somewhere thats open for breakfast, because you wont be able to check into a hostel until the afternoon

Userpic

TomS
Traveller
6 comments

replied 15 years ago

Are the reclining seats a bit relaxed?? can you just have a normal sleep in that?
Normally, I sleep reasonable good, will a seat then a problem for me?

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 15 years ago

If there are six of us travelling together and we booked together a six-berth couchette would we all be in the same couchette (buy the whole couchette) or would we have to ask for this?

Jason

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

best ask to be on the safe side

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

Its very hard to get through to someone who speaks English to book reservations.

Is there any other way of pre booking a couchette for six people on a night train? online?

JD :P

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

i dont know of anyway online. And youve managed to find someone in Holland who doesnt speak English? Thats an achievment in itself!

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

No lol - im phoning the German number listed above to book a City night line train x

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Good point. Try this, +31 900 92 96, it is the phone number for the Dutch railway company who should be able to help

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

Sorry Sidude. Are you sure that number is correct? It doesnt seem to be recognised. I am trying to book reservations for six people to have a six berth couchette on 7th of July from Amsterdam to Berling (19.01 CNL 457 train). I have phoned that number and if i do get through to someone who is English they tell me to call back later. One gave me a different number (+491805996633). Please help!! I want to book the berth so all six of us can have it. So i need to book soon

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

When i said I phoned that number I am referring to the one at provided at the top

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

Try this - 0900 202 1163 (with the dutch country code etc) Im just scouring the web trying to find their customer service number. Not speaking dutch doesnt help.

Or here - 08718 80 80 66 which I think is DB's UK office. They may charge a small fee though. Dont worry though - you dont have to rush, its a tuesday so shouldnt be too busy. Let me know how you get on

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

Thanks for the help mate

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

Yep that english number worked and I received my reservation today by post :)

As for the platforms (the night train arrives in Berlin on platform 12). I think the departure platform varies. At Amsterdam Centraal station where can I find platform information (I assume there are big screens somewhere?). Do they have a confusing layout or will it just say Amst - Berlin (19.01-04.21 = platform 4a etc)??

Cheers

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

There are departure screens at the entrance and on each of the platforms.

Userpic

jasondavis180491
Traveller
18 comments

replied 14 years ago

Cheers man

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

from amsterdam to hamburg there are plenty of free IC trains, changing just once, journey time just over 5 hours. Or there is a night train but it arrives at like 3 in the morning

from hamburg to copenhagen there is a daily direct EC and a couple of direct ICE trains.

[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u] for more info, but the timetables for august might not be up yet

Userpic

samatwell
Traveller
5 comments

replied 14 years ago

Once I have reserved a couchette through DB, will I have to pay any other supplements when boarding the train?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Nope.

Userpic

samatwell
Traveller
5 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]Nope.[/quote]

Thank you!

Userpic

samatwell
Traveller
5 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]Yep that english number worked and I received my reservation today by post :)

As for the platforms (the night train arrives in Berlin on platform 12). I think the departure platform varies. At Amsterdam Centraal station where can I find platform information (I assume there are big screens somewhere?). Do they have a confusing layout or will it just say Amst - Berlin (19.01-04.21 = platform 4a etc)??

Cheers[/quote]

How helpful were they on the phone - did they arrange it so that the six of you would all be in the same compartment? I am in a similar situation (though with only four of us) and was wondering whether it would be worth phoning or whether I should just do it online.

When you booked over the phone did you have to pay any additional fees to what you would have paid booking online?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Usually the reservation system puts a group of people always together in a compartment - only when the train is almost fully booked your reserved seats might be apart from each other. :)

Userpic

err_roisin
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

this information is all really useful thank you!
i've been following your steps to try and book a night train from amsterdam to berlin on the 4th july. for some reason i cannot find the option to say i have an interrail ticket and the website will only let me pay full price. can anyone help with this?
thanks

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

simply do it STEP-BY-STEP like mentioned at the beginning of this topic page (1). I explained every mini-step. :)
on the night train you mentioned, seats aren't available any more. cheapest option:
4 persons in 6-berth cabin: EUR 80 in total - hurry... :)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 14 years ago

First at all, i'm totally new at this site. Next month we want to make a 10 day trip through central Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Austria). The first journey we want to make is from Enschede (Nld) via Arnhem (Nld) to Zürich. We want to use CNL. I registered on the website of Die Bahn and want to reserve our tickets. But I can't find the option mentioned in the first post (Book only extra charge). Is there now another option to reserve tickets? I hope someone can help us.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

I suppose you're from Enschede? Go to your local NS train station and make the reservations there - the online system seems to be out of order at the moment.
If they can't help you at Enschede go to the next larger station (Arnhem probably).

Flo 8)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

and just to add: sometimes it is simply not possible to book CNL trains from a Non-German country to an other Non-Germany country - so for crossing tickets it is not possible - in most cases. :)
and just a short wink to Flow who is just sitting in a night train right now. ;)

Userpic

respiko
Traveller
22 comments

replied 14 years ago

hi, do you think it's ok to book in the 2nd of august for a reclining seat to 4th of august? or should i book online now? it's kinda complicated cause i'm leaving tomorrow morning and i have to pack and stuff :P the line in question is amsterdam-munich.

nuno

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

it seems that the booking system is not working at the moment?!
buy it at a big station - will be the best in your situation. and about a free seat: risky a little bit... :)

Userpic

respiko
Traveller
22 comments

replied 14 years ago

oh ok, but in an extreme case, do you think buying the reservation 2 days before the trip is ok or too tight? i'll try to buy it in paris tomorrow :P
thanks peter.
nuno

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

2 days in high season is always a bit tight. but just try it - and I think you will get the reservation in Paris then. :)

Userpic

Alexm
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

For our trip we plan on taking the night train from Amsterdam to Prague on a Wednesday September 16th.
We are unable to book reservation only online as many have said you cannot without stop in Germany.

We want to get couchette 4-berth for the trip. We arrive 3 days before departure. Can we reserve at Amsterdam or will train be full? Some have recommended booking online to Berlin and staying on the train until Prague. Is that OK or do we be asked to leave? Need help.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi ...

I think you will still get a bed when booking for a Wednesday night, even only 3 days before.
Like you said: it is not possible for trains not starting or ending in Germany. So you have to book in Amsterdam main station.
I just checked it: there are still all special offers available. This shows, that the train is right now still empty.
For booking only until Berlin and then to stay in the train until Prague: some wagons end in Berlin (as there is the central place for cleaning. reparing, ... the CNL wagons). So you are not sure if your wagon continues until Prague.
The first normal direct day train in the morning leaving from Berlin to Prague has some wagons attached of the night train.

[b]Night train[/b]
Amsterdam Dep:
Berlin Ostbahnhof Arr: 0430 (track 2)

[b]Day train + attached wagons of the night train[/b] (you can there us the 2nd class seats)
Berlin Ostbahnhof Dep: 0500 (track 3)
Praha hl.n. Arr: 0956

[b]Other option:[/b]
Leave the night train at [b]Berlin Hbf[/b] (main station). Have a coffee at the station. Then just have a walk to the [b]Reichstag[/b] (German parliament) and the [b]Brandenburger Tor[/b] - really nice early in the morning. No tourists and the city is just waking up. All this is only 5-10 minutes away by foot of the main station. :)
And then continue by the next train in direction of Prague:
[b]Berlin Hbf[/b] Dep: 0635 (by free EC train direction of Budapest)
[b]Praha-Holesovice[/b] Arr: 1118