Userpic

Josie90
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi everyone,
next week I wanted to start my 3-week interrail trip. I start from the Czech Republic and would go to Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria and Romania. Now there seem to be floods in Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina, but I do not really know how bad it is (I would only go to Berlgrade and Sarajevo). Does anyone have information on the topic? I would probably be there in 1,5-2 weeks, so is there any prognosis what the situation will be like and whether it is save to go there?

Thank you!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi!

In Serbia, most lines are operational again, however Beograd - Pozega is still closed with the day train to Montenegro diverted via Lapovo - Kraljevo and the night train suspended.
In Bosnia-Herzegowina I think the situation is worse however I do not know details but I would think it is currently not advisable to go there.
As there is no train service Beograd - Sarajevo since a few years you would have to take a bus anyway between the two cities...I would wait and see and then decide spontaneously where to go.

Flo 8)

Userpic

Josie90
Traveller
1 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thank you for the answer. By now I planned another route. From Dubrobnik I'm gonna take the ferry to Bari, and from Bari to Patras in Greece (where I only have to pay like 10€ extra with Interrail ticket). So from Greece I am still able to go to Bulgaria and Romania, and only have to leave out Serbia and Bosnia. Anyway, if the situation gets better I might still go. But I also heard that the landmines from the Bosnian war might cause a real threat at the moment. So maybe it's better to postpone it to next year.

Josie :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 10 years ago

Wow, that's kind of a big detour it seems to me!

Couldnt you take the bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor in Montenegro, then continue to Podgorica and take the train to Belgrade; then Belgrade - Skopje - Thessaloniki, travel around Greece, then Thessaloniki - Sofia and onwards to Romania?
Bar/Podgorica - Belgrade could be a bit annoying since there is only the day train running now which is likely to be quite full I think but the railway line itself is absolutely stunning! :)

Userpic

nittentrikken
Traveller
15 comments

replied 10 years ago

Sounds nice!

I am also planning to travel through Serbia in a few weeks (from Budapest - Belgrade - Sofia - Plovdiv - Istanbul, similar to the route you, Flow, have described on the blog). Looks like train connections in Serbia are ok by now, and at least by my arrival. But I talked to a friend of mine who grew up i Serbia, and she told they are waiting quite extreme weather down there in the next days. So things can still change. So let's just wait and see:)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 10 years ago

It'd be great if you could provide us with up to date informations about this route, thanks. ;)

Userpic

nittentrikken
Traveller
15 comments

replied 10 years ago

Sure! I will gladly share my experiences and updates ;)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 10 years ago

Userpic

nittentrikken
Traveller
15 comments

replied 10 years ago

My update on Serbian train connections: There are no irregularities on neither Budapeşt-Belgrade nor Belgrade-Sofia. Both lines are operating as normal again.