Userpic

shannaham
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi!

I'm going to be a first time interrailer and I'm a pretty awful traveller, never been anywhere really so just hoped to get some advice!

I hoped to do this route:

London - amsterdam, flying

Amsterdam - berlin

Berlin - Prague

Prague - Krakow (potentially overnight, stop at Auschwitz)

Krakow - Budapest (potentially overnight)

Budapest - Vienna

Vienna to Bratislava (bus) then flights back to London

We have a 17 day window from July 3rd to 20th, was hoping to get away with a 5 in 10 pass? Not really sure how many nights to stay each place and if all this is feasible!

Was also wondering if people had an idea about the cost for all this.

Not done enough homework I am sorry! Just hoped to get others ideas

Many thanks :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi!

# For London - Amsterdam, think about using the Rail&Sail option using the Dutchflyer: [ux]https://rail.cc/blog/from-london-to-amsterdam-with-the-dutchflyer/[/u]
Much more interesting a start to your InterRail trip in my opinion.

# Amsterdam - Berlin - Prague is simple, there are direct trains every two hours. From Berlin to Prague, try to get a seat on the left hand side to enjoy the nice scenery of the Elbe Valley.

# Prague - Krakow and Krakow - Budapest are good options to use the night train; if you want to be sure to get a seat/couchette/bed on any of these it might make sense to make the reservation beforehand, for instance at the station in Berlin
Auschwitz is a stop of both night trains; alternatively you can make a day trip there from Krakow, in that case it would be fine to go with extra tickets bought locally.

# Budapest - Vienna is nice and easy, there are direct Railjet trains usually every two hours throughout the day.

The 5in10 pass is a good choice however spending seven days in Amsterdam and Vienna before/after the validity of the 10 day period might be a tad much.
Alternatively you could look for a single ticket Budapest - Vienna (bought online at [u]https://rail.shop/mav[/ux]) and use the 5th travel day for maybe a day trip from Berlin to Hamburg or from Amsterdam to Rotterdam/Bruxelles/Antwerpen/Gent/Brugge? You could then also travel Amsterdam - any of the above cities - Berlin.

Flo 8)

Userpic

shannaham
Traveller
3 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Flo,

Thanks very much for the reply!

We have actually had a change of route, we are flying to Budapest first and then back from Amsterdam.

We are hoping to save money on overnight trains from/between Krakow, have you any idea of the best route?
(Budapest-Krakow-Vienna-Prague, or Budapest-Vienna-Krakow-Prague), also if/where I need to reserve these overnight trains?

Thanks for your help I will be purchasing interrail tickets through you shortly :)

Shanna

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
Have a look for night trains here:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]
Bellow the map of each train detail you find the information on where to buy. Usually it is station if you travel Eastern Europe.
Peter :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hej Shanna,

you're welcome. Thanks for supporting. :)

If you want to travel solely by night trains you could do Budapest - Prague - Krakow - Vienna - Berlin.

Couchette and sleeper accomodation always needs a reservation, seat reservations are needed on most night trains as well - all available categories, reservation fares (including info whether seat reservation is compulsory or not) etc are listed here:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]

Just ask if you have further questions. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

shannaham
Traveller
3 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Flo,

Thanks again! :D

Taking all overnight trains is probably what we will do! I just wanted to confirm before I start booking hostels, that if I take my first train as a night train on the 30th June (so counts as 1st day of travel on the 1st), I will be able to use it from Berlin to Amsterdam on the 10th July as my 5th journey?

Many thanks
Shanna

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

No, your pass has to be valid already if you want to use the 1900 rule on the first day.

Userpic

shannaham
Traveller
3 comments

replied 10 years ago

Okay so if I used the first journey as an overnight train it would have to count as two travel days and therefore I would need to buy tickets from Berlin to Amsterdam as my 5th (6th journey without the 1900 rule)?

Sorry this is a bit confusing

Thanks
Shanna

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

No, you can of course use the 1900 rule.

If you want to start on 30 June, this would have to be the first day of validity of your pass. You would have to mark only 1 July as travel day, making use of the 1900 rule.
The last day of validity would be 9 July then.