Userpic

Tomthebear
Traveller
138 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Maybe you can help me decide where to go.. My problem is, as every year, that I can`t go for 4 weeks, for different reasons. Anyway, I would like to plan a 2 week trip, but I just can`t decide where to go. At the moment I have 2 ideas, uhm basic ideas, so they could be changed..

Idea 1: Scandinavia

I have been to Scandinavia before, so I would revisit places like Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen. But this time I would like to take the ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, spend a day there, before going by train to Lahti, visit the famous ski jumps and, most important, that swimming pool in the outrun of the biggest jump. (I like crazy things). Finally take the train to Turku, and the ferry back to Stockholm.
The rest is what I`m not sure of. Should I really revisit the cities, mentioned above?

Idea 2: Croatia and Slovenia

I`m currently thinking of taking the night train from Munich to Zagreb, do a bit of sightseeing, before taking the train to Split and the ferry to Hvar. After returning to Split I would like to go by train to Zadar and by bus to the island of Pag, by ferry to the island of Rab, and , also by ferry, to Rijeka, before continuing by train to Ljubljana.

I`m looking for a mixture of culture, relaxing at nice beaches/places and be active, doing sports and having fun.

Any ideas?

Follow this topic
Userpic

MarinaFbg
Traveller
62 comments

replied 10 years ago

Sweden has a lot more to offer than Stockholm :) but early in June the north of Sweden can be a bit cold. If you plan on going end of June you can celebrate our midsummer which is most traditionally celebrated in Dalarna I think, look for Mora or Falun.

West coast of Sweden has really good beaches, both sandy or with cliffs, and weater end of june is often semi-ok :P you can expect at least 20 degrees during the days.

East coast has Gotland and the middel-age-town Visby which is worth a visit!

Stockholm is of course beutiful but Gothenburg also has a lot to offer, one really big amusement park for instance, Liseberg o)

If you dont mind some winter in June you can still ski in the north of sweden beginning of June :D

What is you interests?

Userpic

Tomthebear
Traveller
138 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks for your advice! How would you plan the tour? And how could I include the short trip to Finland? It would be absolutely ok for me, to stay in Sweden, besides this trip to Finland.

I think, I would like to swim,and maybe rent a bike and do some rides... Or just walk around nice areas..
I think, skiing is nice, but I never learned it..

Userpic

MarinaFbg
Traveller
62 comments

replied 10 years ago

I guess you will be arriving in Sweden in Malmö over the bridge from Copenhagen. From there you can take the fast train X2000 directly to Stockholm, will take you approx 4-5 hours depending on if you grab one without stops or not. The slower intercity-trains will take approx 5,5 hour. Spend some time i Stockholm, do your Finland-tour and when you come back I would suggest to go to Dalarna, Mora and Sälen and bike/hike the Vasalopptrail (the famous ski-race) (in swedish but use google translate) www.vasaloppet.se/wpsx/wcm/connect/se/vasaloppet/start/besokare/vasaloppsarenan/arenan_skidor_cykling_lopning/arenan_vasaloppsleden/ This is also were the most traditional midsummer-celebrations will take place if you can time that.

After that head for the west-coast starting with Smögen www.visitsweden.com/sweden/places/southern_sweden/smogen/

Then go south to Gothenburg, here is plenty to do, I think you will need at least 3 days :) You can find museums, amusement parks, nice cafés (to do some traditional swedish fika), history in plentyful (old castle, fortresses etc), some michelin-starred restaurants if that is your thing.

After that head for some sun and swim on the coast of Halland, Varberg, Falkenberg (my town) or Halmstad is great. If you are looking for some posh company head for Båstad instead (and take a look at the totally disasterus thunnel build under the hallandsås started in 1992, still not finished... ) The train ride along the coast of Halland is scenic, I think, for those of you not used to the landscape :D It is VERY close to the ocean in some parts, sit on the right side of the train leaving Gothenburg.

You can surely do some biking if you want to, the bike-trail Ginstleden takes you through Halland visitfalkenberg.se/cykla-i-falkenberg/

Dont miss a trip to Hallands Väderö: www.hallandsvadero.se - surely amazing landscape, swim, bike and try not to get seasick on the boat :'(

After that I would suggest you to visit Österlen in Skåne including the most southern town of Sweden, Smygehuk.

If you still have time, take a trip to Bornholm and you are in Denmark again ;)

Please ask if you need more information on any of the places I have mentioned.

And welcome to a very beautiful country!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Really interesting tips regarding Sweden, thank you! :)

I'd just like to add some input on a potential trip to Finland:
Take the Stockholm - Turku day ferry, it is absolutely amazing, you spend maybe one hour on open sea, the remainder of the trip takes you through the beautiful skerries of the coasts of Sweden, Aland Islands and Finland.
Depending on how much time you'd have you could make a quick round trip Helsinki - Kuopio - Rovaniemi - Helsinki (take the night train Rovaniemi - Helsinki, probably the best night train in Europe). I have only been to Helsinki myself so cant comment on the other cities but have been currently looking into a similar trip and it looks like a quite interesting route.