Userpic

Grahamsheeha
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi, my name is graham and I'm new to the forum . Myself and my two pals are currently organising to travel on a month interail pass from middle of June to middle of July we think. From people I have talked to who went last year they advised me to budget about 1200 euros to be safe and comfortable( is this right) and they also said not to over plan just go with the flow as such ( seems a bit naive ) to me. Do you have to book a lot of the trains in advance also and of the above cities I have mentioned in the title, do u think its a realistic route for 4 weeks I was also wondering If we could get either France or Rome in there , if so any advice on how to coordinate it .Any help greatly appreciated , cheers.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Graham!

Budget looks OK for me; since accomodation costs are an important part of the budget you might look into accomodation costs of the cities you are thinking about to visit beforehand.
The route itself is feasible as well, however Bosnia is a bit off and not very well connected by trains - in fact the only international link is the daily train to Zagreb. However, you can also include a bus trip in this area; you might for instance go Budapest - Zagreb - Bosnia (Sarajewo and Mostar would be the obvious destinations) by train, then bus into Montenegro (visit Kotor, Durmitor National Park, Skadar Lake National Park,...), and train again to Belgrade (stunning scenery on this route) - Budapest - night train to Krakow.

You can get by almost the entire route without reservations, just avoid the Thalys in Benelux; also, for night trains you would usually need reservations (couchette is recommended).

France/Rome would be possible as well of course, for instance like this:
Benelux - Paris - night train to Nice - along the coast to Rome - Ancona/Bari and ferry to either Split/Dubrovnik/Bar - Montenegro/Bosnia - Zagreb - Budapest - Prague - Krakow; Germany can then be included either before going to France or between Prague and Krakow.

If you have further questions just ask, and please help us helping you by purchasing your tickets at [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] - thank you. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

Grahamsheeha
Traveller
1 comments

replied 10 years ago

Cheers for the reply man,really appreciate it and i will be sure to buy my ticket here.