Userpic

paulb06
Traveller
13 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi All

Wondering what anyone thinks of this route?
Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Berlin - Krakow - Prague - Budapest - Bucharest - Croatia

We are travelling from Dublin, so will be starting in Amsterdam, length of stays in each country to be decided once we have the route confirmed. This is just drawn up so there is probably room to amend if needed. We are going to get the 22 continuous ticket would this be the best one?

Do we need to make any reservations for any of the above destinations? Also when would a night train be needed here?

With regards to the accommodation and hotels, how busy would they be in April/May? Is there a requirement to book in advance? How long would you recommend in each country?

So sorry for all the questions!! I am currently in the process of reading through the forum and I know these may be answered elsewhere but any advice is appreciated.

Paul

Follow this topic
Userpic

nadja_wnw
Traveller
33 comments

replied 10 years ago

I think 2 days are enough for Amsterdam if you ask me. I think you need to book acommandation in advance there are not many cheap places to stay there as far as I know. I went there during Easter Break twice it was very full both times. there aren´t many tourist atractions and the few ones that they have (anne frank huis for example) have long queues. I didn´t like it there because it´s to crowded but nevertheless i´m sure there are cool things to do.

If People visit germany only few go to Frankfurt so it´s not as touristic as munich, berlin oder hamburg i guess. I wouldn´t stay there to long, you can see everything in one day. I don´t think that there are many hostels, so maybe you should check where you can stay in advance.
But anyways, there is a shoppingmall (Myzeil) and from the roof you have a great view over frankfurts skyline , it´s free just take the elevator in the mall.

Berlin has a lot to offer, so I think i would stay there for 3 days. It´s not very expensive compared to Amsterdam. I can recommend going to Simon-Dach-Street in Friedrichshein there are many restaurants and bars , you can meet students and prices are okay :) Friedrichshein is a really cool quarter, there is a cafe with hundrets of cardboardgames you can go there play games and have drinks :) it´s calles Spielwiese. You need to make a reservation in advance if you want to enter the Reichstag (i think 1 or 2 days earlier but i´m not sure).
If you want to meet other tourists you can go to Matrix Club .they have cool offers sometimes (free entrence or buy1 get 2) but you won´t meet locals there :D

Krakow is not as big as Berlin so 2 days will be enough but if you like clubbing and going to pubs you should stay there maybe 3 days :D Cien Club is really fun one of the best clubs in town and 0,5litre beer is only 2 € :D .
Best pub is Club Rewolucja :D but there are also great parties.
there is a nice shopping mall but i forgot the name.
Jewish Quarter is very interesting and maybe you want to learn something about history . Auschwitz is only a few kilometers far away, there a agencies that offer trips.
You also need to try Pierogie (polish national dish) . Hotel Zazek is very cheap if you don´t want to sleep in a hostel. i think it´s the only city where one can afford a hotel room as they are as expensive as hostels in south europe. single room is only 100Zloty (25€) double room 120 (15€ p.P.) and triple 150 (12€) breakfast is not worth the money but rooms are very clean and even have water boiler.

I hope I could help a little, as I´m also Interrail Newbie I can only give information about the cities itself. Feel free to ask I you have further questions to Frankfurt Amsterdam Berlin and Krakow

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hej Paul!

For your route the 10in22 pass should be sufficient.
Is Croatia fixed as your end destination? Since Bucharest is quite off route and you will have to make a return trip there from Budapest - another more complicated but also more interesting option would be to go from Bucharest to Belgrade via Timisoara and then finally to Zagreb and whereever you are headed in Croatia. If you dont want to go to Zagreb anyway you might also go to Montenegro instead (the Belgrade - Bar line is one of Europe's most spectacular lines) and then to Dubrovnik by bus.

You can use night trains on all legs from Krakow onwards, have a look here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train[/u]
Seat reservations will be needed on the Berlin - Krakow leg and also for Krakow - Prague (day and night) and Budapest - Bucharest (day and night).

Help us helping you by purchasing your tickets at [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] - thank you. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

paulb06
Traveller
13 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys! Great will look to get the 10 in 22 day pass. What happens if we run out of days can we just pay for tickets there and then what would the standard price be?

We are travelling to Bucharest as we have family and friends there, yes Croatia is our end destination and will be looking to fly home from there. We also will be taking out Frankfurt and just go to Berlin.

Ok, so does this make sense:

We are going to go as you said from Bucharest to Belgrade via Timisoara then from Belgrade down to Montenegro, stop off for a day or 2 then down to Dubrovnic by bus? Where's the nearest airport to Dubrovnic?

And should we plan what places we want to see before leaving? Like write them down and also write down how many days we want to stay in each place?

Sorry for all the questions ||

Edit:

This is what we now have planned and for how many days, appreciate any advice on it.

Fly into Amsterdam stay 2 days, travel to Berlin stay 3 days, Then to Prague for 2 days, Krakow for 2 days, Budapest for 2 days, Bucharest for 3 days, then to Kotor in Montenegro (via Belgrade) for a day then final destination Dubrovnic for 6 days to relax before flying home!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

# If you run out of travel days, you can always get a regular ticket during your travel. Price depends on route and how far in advance you book. Anyway, you wont run out of travel days as I count only about seven trips by train on your trip.

# In fact it will work out cheaper if you just get a 5in10 IR pass which will suit perfectly to cover all trips until Bucharest. Then you can continue using tickets bought at the station which is cheaper than the extra cost of the 10in22.

# Bucharest - Belgrade: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail/bucharest-to-belgrade[/u]

# You might want to add a few days in Montenegro instead of staying a week in Dubrovnik (or any other place in Croatia)...we have been to Dubrovnik last summer and although the city is beautiful it is really expensive there and packed with tourists.

# Yeah, I like to have an initial plan - it might change during your trip but it is good to have a vague idea of where you are going I think.

Userpic

paulb06
Traveller
13 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks Flow! Do you know if the trains go regularly on Easter Sunday (20th April) from Amsterdam if we left for Berlin then?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
Connections on the 20.04.2014 like shown here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train/amsterdam-to-berlin[/u]
Except the one leaving at 17:01h.
Peter :)

Userpic

paulb06
Traveller
13 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks Peter and again, sorry for all questions but were asking as we think of them!

So we'll be going for the 10 in 22 pass, can you tell me how it actually works as I'm finding it hard to grasp the rule and also does it need to be marked every trip or how does it work?

Thanks

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hej!

Well we run the forum to answer questions. ;)
It would be of course great if you would support us by purchasing your passes through our online shop at [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] ;)

When purchasing the 10in22 (or the 5in10), you have to select a starting date during the ordering process (just a with all other IR tickets). On the ticket itself you will then find two rows: Day and Month; you now have to enter day and month in each column for each day you want to travel, you can do this up until the first train you board on each travel day. After that you can travel the whole day until 2400.
You can also make use of the 1900 rule: [u]https://rail.cc/en/1900h-rule-night-train/f1024[/u]
Attached to the actual ticket you will find the travel report where you have to fill in all single trips you make with your pass: Date, departure and arrival station plus departure time

Flo 8)

Userpic

paulb06
Traveller
13 comments

replied 10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone we will make sure to order our IR tickets through the website in due course aswell :) We'll get back with any further queries if we think of any if that's ok!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Great, thank you! :)
Just ask if there are any more questions.

Userpic

paulb06
Traveller
13 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi all quick question I'm still a little confused over the tickets.
If I buy a 5 in 10 pass and put in my first travel date as say for example 21st April (this is when we will be leaving Amsterdam to board the 1st train) does that mean I have 10 days to use it from then or what?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

First day of validitiy: 21 April
Last day of validity: 30 April