Userpic

JackStraw
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 10 years ago

I have a few questions about buying the Zagreb - Split overnight train tickets ( [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/zagreb-split-b-821/129[/u] ). These tickets are not yet available because of the new schedule that goes into effect Dec. 15 (?).
I arrive in Budapest on Dec. 19 (coming from the USA).

My questions:
Does this train sell out and can I buy the tickets now at railcc even though the new schedule is not yet in the system?

Alternatively, can I buy these tickets in Budapest when I arrive there on Dec. 19 and will there still be availability for an overnight Dec. 23 train?

thank you!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi!

Similarly to the Budapest - Zagreb train, tickets wont be sold out for the train itself, however as it usually only cosists of a single sleeping car (which I would recommend) plus a few 2nd class coaches it might be advisable to get a berth reservation as soon as possible (in your case this would be at the station in Budapest).
The ticket itself can be bought at Zagreb station; depending on your overall route you might think about getting a Budapest - Split return via Zagreb already in Budapest for which MAV (Hungarian Railways) offer 60% discount on the regular fare.

Flo 8)

Userpic

JackStraw
Traveller
2 comments

replied 10 years ago

Dear Flo - great information - thank you very much!

Userpic

pedromoliveira
Traveller
11 comments

replied 9 years ago

About this train:

I'm arriving to Zagreb on 4th August morning (coming from Ljubljana) and i'll leave Zagreb to Split in 4th August night-train (21h45). So I won't have much time to reserve me and my partners couchette's in advance.

Do you think that the splepping car will be already full in 4th's morning? Is there any way to reserve our places in advance? It would be very importante for us to sleep well in this night :/

I also will travel Split-Budapest in 6th August night-train. But I will have some time to reserve our places in this train. I was thinking about reserve our places as I arrive to Zagreb (4th August morning), do you think that this is possible? Or i can only reserve our places in Split station?

Thank you again for your fantastic help!!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

You can reserve both trains at a train station beforehand; this is not only possible at stations in Croatia or Hungary but also in other countries, as long as the salesperson knows how to do that. Should be possible in Ljubljana...but the direct night train has only limited availability so you might try even further in advance.

Userpic

pedromoliveira
Traveller
11 comments

replied 9 years ago

I tried to reserve these trains in Portugal but they couldn't do it.

Thanks anyway for your help :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Well...Portugal is a bit special, sorry. ;)
For instance, reservations for domestic trains in Portugal are not possible from outside the country, but for instance I can make reservations for the night trains to/from Lisboa at my station here in Austria.

I dont know your exact route but if you are travelling around central Europe before your chances are good that you will be able to get the reservation at a station in Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Germany,...

Userpic

pedromoliveira
Traveller
11 comments

replied 9 years ago

Thanks again for your help!
By the way, do you think that I can reserve the train in Milan or Venice? I will be in Slovenia but it would be better if I could do this in Italy.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

It should be possible but I cant guarantee it - you will have to try your luck (I would be interested in hearing from your experience). :)

Userpic

pedromoliveira
Traveller
11 comments

replied 9 years ago

Thank you!! I will try to do it and then I will write here what I found :p