Userpic

Spiderandi
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hi,

i want to travel from Munich to Budapest and as an hungarian, i have to pay for the train in my homecountry (like everybody else too). What i have to pay in this case? Or is this ride free because of the austrian railjet train?

Thank you! :)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10724 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi!

Are you travelling with InterRail?
You will have to pay for a ticket from Hegyeshalom (Gr) to Budapest. There is a 50% discount on this ticket, but you have to buy it at a station in Hungary.

Flo 8)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1391 comments

replied 10 years ago

no, of course its not free. MAV=HU state regulated fares start right from the border-does not matter what is written on the trains, this is NOT the UK here. Discounts too are set by your very own govmt.-so you would know best if this applies to you.
It may be cheaper to:
a.prebook on rail.shop/oebb for a special price single or BKV-included Return Wien=Bécs to BP.
b.only pay the very much higher INTernational price only to Györ-get off, pay local ticket with HUF
c.do that even only to Hegyeshalom-but then you MUST get off, wait and take a local train onward-or the guard will bribe you for a hefty fine
d.use IR -get off/change at Wien- till Sopron and get local ticket GySEV+MAV to BP for HUF. But that means get off nighttrain very early -or late @ nite.
This is because your very own MAV charges much more for INT tickets for same distance in KM as for local domestic. But MAV is not unique in this (I know Hungarians have a tendency to see state-run rip-offs in about everyhting), in fact about any East-Europe railway does that too. That means that even with 50% disocunt INT fares may (you have to check) still be higher as local full fare.