Userpic

jmb_me
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 10 years ago

Hello!

So I\'m just wondering it it\'s possible to buy an InterRail pass at a train station, or do I need to order it online? I\'m leaving roughly around the 23rd September, but I\'m not too sure when to start the pass... (plans are still being finalised - it\'s all a little last minute!) and you have to specify a start date right? If I, for example, ordered the pass on Monday 16th September would it arrive in time?

Also is it worth just getting a 10 in 22 day pass for the following itinerary (I\'d use the pass for the first bit in Western Europe- as Im right in thinking that Eastern Europe is cheaper?), my travel time is open-ended if you\'re thinking it\'s too much to do in a month!

London to Amsterdam (probably be megabus as that\'s cheap as chips!)
Berlin (maybe Dresden inbetween these 2)
Krakow
Vienna
Budapest (or Budapest then Vienna?)
From there I\'d like to head down to Belgrade / Sarajevo / Dubrovnik / Kotor / Mostar / Split etc...
Up to Ljubljana (and Lake Bled)
Salzburg
Munich
Paris
Home

Or is it worth looking at point-to-point tickets - though I do realise it\'s getting late in the day now! Or should I get a different pass altogether...

Any help would be appreciated!

And P.S. Great site guys - really helpful :)

Thanks in advance

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
Yes. You can buy an Interrail pass at a station. But not in the UK. In the Netherlands you will have to pay a service fee at the station buying it there.
If you buy your official Interrail pass online here at railcc, I can set your profile to PLUS for more detailed answers. Shipping to the UK is FREE within 2 business days. :)
If you buy somewhere else, please ask there for support, as it is not fair to ask railcc for free help, but to give your money someone else.
And yes, you have to fix your starting date of your Interrail pass at the purchase. The travel days you fill in whenever you need them during your trip.
The 10 in 22 is often a good solution. If you want to compare it to point to point tickets, just visit the websites of the national railway companies to find out prices - as they often depend on date and time you travel.
A route could be UK to Amsterdam.
Then Amsterdam - Berlin - (Dresden: stop during the day and continue in the evening) - Prague - Krakow - Vienna - Budapest.
Then the part in Eastern Europe via Belgrade, etc. Schedules see here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]
And back via Ljubljana / Lake Bled - Salzburg - Munich - Paris - UK
Peter :)

Userpic

jmb_me
Traveller
2 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi Peter, many thanks for your speedy reply :)

I'll definitely be buying from guys don't worry- you deserve the support for your great website! And the delivery time is quick! :)

Thanks for the advice - I'm unsure whether to go for the 10 in 22 or 5 in 10 day pass for my time up until eastern europe- is there anything you would recommend? Would these passes be available to buy at a station in, for example, Austria or Italy if I wanted another one for the final part of my trip.?

Many thanks for your help :)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi.
The 5 in 10 should be fine to reach Eastern Europe on your route. Depends of course on the number of stops you include or skip. :)
And yes, you can buy an other 5 in 10 at larger railway stations.
But also check special price fares ... for example Munich to Paris at [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] ...
It's up to you ho to calculate. A 10 in 22 is of course cheaper than 2 X 5 in 10...
Peter ;)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hej!

Your route and the right choice of ticket is quite tricky since you apparently are not fixed on a certain timeframe...

I think that a combination of InterRail (5in10 or 10in22 depending on the actual route) at the beginning plus a combo of bus+train tickets bought on the spot for the trips around Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia plus advance fare tickets for the remainder to Paris would be the best option however you would then have to buy the tickets to Paris now to get cheap fares.
Another option would be to combine two 5in10 IR tickets at the beginning and end plus regular tickets in the middle of the trip...however consider that you might need a few extra reservations, especially to get into Paris.

For the trip back home you could for instance book advance tickets on [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] - from Bled to Munich you can get ticekts for 39€ two weeks in advance. It is even possible to include a stop in Salzburg, but you have to specify this when you look for a connection (add Salzburg as astopover with up to 48h stay)!
For Munich - Paris you can also get tickets on [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux]
You could then use a 5in10 IR: Amsterdam - Dresden (take the night train from Amsterdam, stay during the day and continue to Berlin in the evening) - Berlin - Krakow - Vienna - Budapest - Belgrade or even add another stop (Prague?) and use the ticket to Budapest only since there is a cheap 15€ offer for Budapest - Belgrade available anytime at the station in Budapest.

Flo 8)

Userpic

jmb_me
Traveller
2 comments

replied 10 years ago

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the great advice, I really appreciate it! I'm currently on hols so need to sort all this out pretty asap on my return- will be buying interrail of you guys soon! Thanks for the help so far- may have more questions soon :)